Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The "Lake House Blue Dresser"

I absolutely love this piece...from the moment I saw her in the corner of someone's garage, in two pieces...she was not even together but I loved her, and I had to have her! (I should be writing a romance novel, the way this post started..lol) I saw a few pieces I liked from this lady selling a lot of antiques. They were all from her parent's Lake house they just sold.... I came there with a friend because this will be my first time picking up furniture, and I did not want to bug my hubby again to pick up MORE furniture...anywho, we got there, and I turned down many of the pieces that I originally wanted...and a small glimpse of this, I blurted ,"How much for this one?" All I get is "It is not for sale." I sadly gathered up the few pieces I wanted (which includes the stack tables I have on the pictures besides the dresser). I turned back around and said, "Can I make an offer?" (they were selling a lot of stuff for cheap, maybe I will get a good deal on this, right?) I did not want the end table that came with it...all I wanted was this piece...I named my price, and they said "Yeah, we will help you load it up." Because of my other purchases I was not able to load both pieces...and my hubby had to go back the next day to pick up the other pieces!

How I refinished this piece?

Before I go into it...here's a little TIP:
When I go to Menards or any hardware store, I always go to the MISTINT, or returned paint that people did not want. Big gallons are five dollars...I usually score the one that has PRIMER and PAINT all in one! Those paint can easily cost 25 and up..so I like to stock up when I see color that I want or would use...I like Satin Paint! I will be investing in the type of Paint I have been wanting to buy and try for awhile now...I will keep you posted...But here she is: Powder Blue, Slightly Distressed, and Original knobs spray painted in Dark Copper Bronze...finished her with Tung Oil!( Another Tip: If you use Tung Oil, and your working indoors..keep all windows open!)

Before and After Pic


I love the stack tables, the flower vases were from a yard sale for $10 for both, which can be found at Hobby Lobby for 29.99 each! 
 I love this color!
This display plate is very special! It was given to me by my husband's supervisor when we were stationed in Sacramento. She was always there for us and we could not really thank her enough..this was her parting gift for me before we left!

3 comments:

  1. I always use satin or gloss paints. It makes cleaning so easy! It looks amazing! If you ever decided to sell these pieces, you could make a fortune. I know you said it's not about selling for you, but you could make a job out your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...I have a dream of owning a Vintage/Antique Childen Boutique...maybe a few of my pieces will be there one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love the useful tip about the paint (mistint)!

    ReplyDelete