Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Starting a Blog

Before I end the night by starting this blog, I wanted to share a few things with all of you??

Why did I start this?

Whenever I refinished a furniture, or just redecorated... I like to share it with our friends and family. I am proud of everything that I do, only because I put a lot of work into the things that I do...every interest, every hobby, I am very passionate about! Now, I get a lot of questions and compliments when I do post on Facebook, and even text messages from people...and I wish I can just go on and on about the history behind all these treasure pieces that I find. Well, now here is your chance to know what, when, where, why or how about my pieces! Feel free to ask me questions too!

When I purchase a piece from someone, I do not hand them the money (sometimes free..rare for me though)..and walk away...I get to know them and I ask where the piece came from. Depending on how much history it is on a piece...is how much work I actually put into redoing it...sometimes I may not redo it. Stick around to learn a few tricks and ideas on how to redo the pieces you bought and love!

I get asked this a lot, "Why am I not selling my pieces?" Our new home, right now we live on base..this home I  will always be proud of...I love almost everything about it (except the tiny bathrooms). The pieces I am purchasing right now is to complete our home...and honestly, the history of  most of the the pieces I purchase are PRICELESS...not to mention the work one does with refinishing each piece.

 I love yard sales, antiques stores, thrift stores...but I have to say I am not a JUNKIE! I pick pieces that are well structured, and worthy of being refinished...cost does not matter (even if I am cheap), remember, it is the history of the furniture! Before I buy, is it veneer? is it solid wood? what is the quality of the piece that I am buying?

First of DO NOT LET VENEER SCARE YOU! Veneer is  thin piece of wood that is glued on top to make some furniture hold up better, and made to make pieces look better. Some of the best quality furniture is made of veneer...especially those antique and vintage pieces! Veneer is still REAL WOOD! Now, if you get SOLID wood, it is even better, it is easier to refinish and very rare, especially when it is from way back when! But do not worry, I will have TIPS on how to refinish veneer!

Well, that is it for now, I am not going to give you the all the details all at once...besides I have to keep you guys wanting to come back :) As for now....toodles! Oh, here is a pic of my family just for me to share with you!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you need to come to England! I get all my furniture from ebay! I've paid roughly $2 for most of my wooden furniture. (REAL WOOD!!!) Most of it, I don't even have to refinish. The most I've done is sand down a wardrobe and changing table. I painted them just so that they'd match for my baby's room. The other piece, my sideboard, all I did was melt down some brown and orange candles. When the candles had some liquid wax, I poured it on the gouges in the furniture. Polished it up a bit and voila! You'd love the furniture over here. It's so cheap and easy to obtain! I fear we may be over our weight limit when we leave! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I would not have room in my house if I lived there LOL...Jennifer, just a little tip that I got from a lady who owned her own antique store...you can leave the sanding out! Just have a good primer or get the 2 in 1 Primer and Paint! Sometimes the pieces are so unique and old, that i never want to mess with the grain. I never had problems with doing it this way...many ways to do it.i like things that are easy and that gets right into the fun PAINTING AND DISTRESSING :) thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete